Fog can occur at any time of year, but it tends to run rampant at the beginning of each season, especially in fall and winter. The Bay Area is particularly susceptible to fog, and highways can become especially dangerous during the transition from summer to fall and fall to winter. For many of us, we have become used to the summer rays of sunshine, and the onslaught of fall fog can take us by surprise. Here are some safety tips for driving in the Bay Area fog:
- Slow down! Even if you know the road, other drivers may not.
- For maximum visibility, use your fog lights and low-beam headlights, even in daytime fog. You need to see, and other drivers need to see you. Make sure to never use your high-beams in the fog.
- Keep your eye out for vehicles parked on the side of the road, especially if you are using the headlights and taillights of other cars as your guidelines.
- Speaking of guidelines, it is wise to use the reflective markers in the road as a guide to indicate how the road curves.
- If you need to, use your wipers and defrosters to enhance your visibility.
- Use all your senses, including your hearing, for approaching traffic.
- Don’t drive any faster than what your stopping time and visibility can handle.
- Try not to change lanes or pass other vehicles unless absolutely necessary.
- If you need to, don't be afraid to pull over in a safe area. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
- Stay focused on the road, and put away all distractions.
With fall here and winter approaching, it would be a smart time to bring your vehicle to Orinda Motors for an inspection. We can make sure each component of your vehicle is working properly, especially your headlights and taillights. Schedule an appointment, or stop by Orinda Motors / Orinda Auto Rental / Orinda Classic Car Center at 61 & 63 Orinda Way today! Call us at 925-254-2012!