Getting your first car is a rite of passage. For many of us, our vehicles equal freedom, and having our vehicles gives us the freedom to go anywhere or do anything seemingly. If your son or daughter is getting a car for the first time, it is primarily their first step into adulthood. As the saying goes, “with great power comes great responsibility,” owning a vehicle for the first time shouldn’t be taken lightly, as there are things all car owners should know and be aware of.
Here are the top 5 things every first-time car owner should know:
- Engine Oil: Your engine oil is imperative to your vehicle’s overall health. Not only does it ensure proper combustion, but it also helps lubricate, cool, and clean your engine. It is essential to stay on top of your vehicle’s oil changes.
- Spare Tire: Some cars will come with a spare tire. However, it depends on the make and model whether your vehicle has a spare tire. If you are a first-time car owner, we recommend figuring out where your spare tire is located. It is also important to keep that spare tire in excellent condition, as you never know when you might need it.
- Windshield wiper blades: It is easy to forget about your windshield wiper blades amidst other components of your vehicle, such as your steering or braking system. However, we are here to remind you that your windshield wipers are your first line of defense against Mother Nature. Imagine if you were driving along a rainy road, and your windshield wipers don’t work. Our team can inspect your windshield wipers for any signs of wear or damage.
- Fluids: Like how you need water to stay hydrated, your vehicle needs certain fluids to maintain proper performance. These fluids include but are not limited to engine oil, coolant, power steering fluids, brake fluid, and windshield washer fluid.
- Headlights and Taillights: Overtime, your lights will start to fade. A qualified technician must regularly examine your vehicle’s headlights and taillights to ensure you can continue seeing on even the darkest of nights.
The most crucial thing to remember as a first-time car owner is the value of preventative maintenance. Preventative maintenance is key to preserving your vehicle’s longevity, driveability, and safety is regular maintenance performed by the technicians at Orinda Motors. Schedule an appointment, or stop by Orinda Motors / Orinda Auto Rental / Orinda Classic Car Center at 63 Orinda Way today! Call us at 925-254-2012! See you soon!