With El Nino coming, it is smart to prepare your vehicles for winter storms and road conditions. Here are some ways you can be proactive and make sure you are not involved in a preventable breakdown.
- Know Your Brakes Before an Emergency. If you are driving on snow-covered or wet roads, apply firm and even pressure with the ball of your foot on the brake pedal. This will prevent you from locking the brakes and skidding out of control.
- Avoid Hydroplaning and Slow Down. When the roads have oil slicks or are pooled with water, your chances of hydroplaning and losing traction with the road increases. To avoid dangerous hydroplaning conditions, reduce your speed and gently tap your brakes when you need to slow down so that your tires stay connected to the road.
- Have a Tire Kit Handy When Driving in Snow. The Lamorinda area clearly does not have to worry about snow, but if you travel to Lake Tahoe region to go skiing, be sure to have tire chains and the appropriate tools to safely travel those snowy roads.
- Check Your Tire Pressure Monthly. Tire pressure is important for fuel economy, safety, and maneuverability. Get into the habit of checking your tires visually each time you go for a drive, and when you fill up your gas tank. If you bring your vehicle to Express Oil Change & Tire Center, we’ll inspect your tires and make sure they are in good shape for winter road conditions.
- Listen Up for Strange Sounds. Is your vehicle making odd noises? Chances are that those pings, knocks, and rattles are signs that something is awry. Bring your vehicle to Orinda Motors for thorough diagnostics and inspection.
- Protect Your Paint. Harsh weather conditions, bird poop, dirt, grime, and pollen can all affect the vibrancy of your paint. Applying Opti-Coat or C-Quartz can help extend the life of your vehicle’s paint job. When in doubt, Orinda Auto Detail can detail your vehicle inside and out, protecting your vehicle from harsh elements.
- Fill Your Tank With Quality Gasoline. Good quality gasoline can help your vehicle operate optimally. Avoid using gas that will damage your engine. If you want high quality gas at affordable prices, Flying A Gasoline is your best bet. Also, be sure to have at least a quarter tank of gas as your minimum, just in case you need to evacuate the area during an emergency.
- If the Weather is Horrible, Stay Home.The best winter driving advice is to stay home. If you don’t really need to leave, don’t. Even if you’re a competent winter driver, not everyone else on the road is and it’s just not worth the risk.
- If Your Vehicle Isn’t Safe to Drive, Get a Rental Car. Sometimes we don’t have the funds to overhaul our vehicles at the end of the year. When in doubt, you are welcome to rent a vehicle from Orinda Auto Rentals, starting as little as $29.99 per day. Reservations are recommended to ensure a vehicle will be available for you when you need it.
We hope these tips will inspire you to bring your vehicle into Orinda Motors, Flying A Gasoline, Orinda Auto Detail, and Express Oil Change & Tire Center for a repair, service, or safety inspection. Likewise, if you need a rental, contact Orinda Auto Rentals. The Orinda Motors family feels deeply connected to the Lamorinda community, and we strive to go above and beyond to solve your car issues while providing good value. Call or stop by any time you need our wide selection of auto repair services.